Tuesday, August 22, 2006

In another time, in another place

Good GOD I was going through hot and heavy internet withdrawal! I'll warn you now, this is going to be a pretty chaotic post since I'm feeling kind of high and shaky now that I'm getting my long-deserved internet fix.

I wanted to post pics on my first post, but I'm pretty sure I blew up my supposedly dual-voltage battery charger for my camera. Yeah, not so good. Fortunately, I didn't kill the $100 battery and I was able to buy a compatible 220v charger at the PX. Now it would just be nice if I could get my hands on some scissors to open the frickin' thing. (Another thing I blew up: my transformer. No blow-dryer or straightner for me for now. Even though I'm semi-digging the low-maintenance thing, I'm getting rather sick of sporting the curly hair.)

So what's Germany like? Pretty much exactly like a fairy tale. Everything is absolutely gorgeous - from the bright green fields to the lush pine-tree forests lining the bahn. And the houses.... AH! They are all red-roofed and painted bright colors with tons of potted plants and sunflower gardens and red, pink, purple, yellow and blue flowers spilling out of the all of the windows. And the beer...the beer is just as good as they say it is, kids. I'm pretty much in love at this point.

On the base shuttle from Munich to Vilseck, I was lucky enough to meet a couple who teaches at the same school where I'll be teaching. They've been living in Germany for the past 7 years, and lived in Japan for 9 years before that. Once they learned that I was embarking on my first overseas experience, and that my cooperating teacher wouldn't be in town for another couple of days, they immediately took me under wing. They invited me out to their favorite little German restaurant tucked away in a hamlet just outside Vilseck. Then, the next day they took me to Amberg, a larger city just 20 miles from Vilseck. Let me tell you, I was kicking myself for not having my camera with me! They showed me the Old Market area, explained the German public baths and mineral spas (guys and girls together and naked and sniffing scented oils...not something I'm willing to try...yet...(?)), showed me the smallest motel in the world (which has a great story that I'll share once I go back armed with my camera!), and took me to yet another restaurant where we dined al fresca on the cobblestone plaza.

After 3 days, I *finally* met my cooperating teacher, Tracy. She gave me a fridge and a microwave to put in my room and is lending me a bicycle to use while I'm here. She is such a sweetheart - a mom away from home - and her husband is a kill! She's all like, "Is there anything you need? Tell me what you need, and I can get it! Just let me know!" I'm really looking forward to working with her - she's got such enthusiasm for the subject and she sincerely cares for and respects her students, and they love her back for it!

Oooh! And I met two girls from Northern Arizona University who are living together in my hotel and are doing their student teaching on the same base where I'll be doing mine! When we first met, I felt pretty cool because they thought I was a grad student. (Then I realized that I was old enough to be a grad student was still a lowly undergrad, and then I didn't feel so cool anymore.) Anyway, those two girls - Anne and Dylan (who is actually a grad student) - are quite the jet-setters. They've essentially been everywhere in Europe, and Dylan has been to many parts in Asia. They were pretty stoked to have another travel partner, and I was stoked to have *a* travel partner (well, one my age anyway!), so it all works out!

Dylan asked me whether I had any plans for Labor Day weekend, and I told her that I didn't, but that we had to do something at least mildly amusing because my birthday was on the 1st. "Well," she said, "you're not staying here alone on your birthday, so it looks like you're going to Dublin with us." Freaking Dublin! ON MY BIRTHDAY?! Is there any better way to spend my birthday than throwing back some pints at Temple Bar? I think not.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dublin on your Birthday? Are you freakin' kiddin' me!!! Please take your camera.. Live everyday like it's your last and drink your beer from a cleanish glass. BE GOOD!

Bobby

8:09 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kari,
We've never met but I'm your cousin Donna Paulin. Related on both sides. The one that lives in California. Your mom sent me your blog and I've really enjoyed reading your experiences. Best of luck. It sounds like you are going to have a great time.

6:29 PM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on! Your 24th in Dublin. I can't wait to hear how that goes.

Kate

4:51 PM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That must have been the 'PIZZERIA VILLA" in an old building in Amberg !?
g.s.

3:53 PM, August 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home