Monday, October 02, 2006

Prost!

The vauge term "fest" is sprinkled all over Vilseck-area promotional material. Towns hold them. Community organizations hold them. And since churches hold them, I assumed there couldn't be too much fun going on at these so-called fests. Which is why I was puzzled at the reaction I received when one of my students found out I hadn't been to a fest yet...


"You haven't been to a fest, Ms. Fokken?!"
"No. What do they do at them anyway?"
"You go and get drunk and ride rides. It's the best!"
"And churches condone this...?"
"Yeah. They do here. They're all Catholic. What do you expect?"

It's been about a month since I had that conversation, and I've been to plenty of fests since. And they are indeed good times. That said, a good fest must contain the following things:

  1. Bier. Pils. Weisen. Whatever you want to call it. In 6 gallon mugs.
  2. Picnic Tables. In the States we use them for sitting; here, they use them for standing on and singing on and dancing on. I love it.
  3. Crepes. (Bounus points if they have the Banana/Nutella option.)
  4. The World Cup song. I have no idea what the words are besides "Zwie und tausand sechs" (2006), but people go nuts when the bands play this song. Literally everyone is up on the picnic tables, singing and swinging their beer steins along with the music. In any given night, the song will probably be played at least four times, and it never gets old!
  5. Bratwurst with mustard. Delish.
  6. Tables of people shouting "Prost!" (Cheers!) for no apparent reason and clinking mugs with whoever happens to be near them at the time.
  7. A great live band that plays all German music, but whose final set consists of all of the following songs in English:
  • "Manic Monday"
  • "I Will Survive" (Germans LOVE it.)
  • "YMCA"
  • "Celebration"
  • "Johnny B. Goode"
  • "What's Up" (That 4 Non Blondes song...you know it.)
  • "Shout"
  • "99 Red Balloons" (In both English and German.)
  • "Hang On Sloopy"

(All of the bands play these songs! Even the church fest bands. True story...just kidding. Unless you think I'm not.)

Verdict on Oktoberfest: Over 6 million people from around the globe partake in Oktoberfest. It is the biggest party in the world, so it's bound to be great times, and I'm glad I got to experience the spectacle. However, I'd have to say that the smaller festivals I've been to have been by far and away more merry. ;)

I've got pics up on my Flickr account of Oktoberfest and Nurnberg's Volkvest, and pics from the Vilseck fest that took place pretty much on my front step are coming soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home